I am just loving all the leather inspired accessories I'm seeing for this fall season and was inspired to make this leather bracelet using some very simple square knots. You can make your own square knotted leather bracelet with this step by step craft tutorial.
5ft. of leather/fo leather cord (you can find at any craft store)
chain and lobster clasp (optional)
1. Measure and cut a piece of cord around your wrist twice adding an extra inch and a half. Take this cord and the remaining cord and fold the two pieces in half and tie the middle parts into a simple loop.
2. divide the short pieces into the middle and the long pieces to the outside. You are going to tie the long pieces around the short pieces.
This is really quite simple once you get started with the square knots.
3. Bring the right leather strip left over the top of the short leather strips in the middle. Now bring the left strip over the top of the right strip and behind the leather strips in the middle now pull that left leather strip through the loop of the right leather strip.
here is a little diagram...
4. after you get the first knot done now reverse the knot pattern and start with the left leather strap.
5. Continue to tie your square knots back a forth until you get to the end. If you would like to add a braid for the second loop just tie off one of the leather straps when you get half way down the bracelet and continue the rest of the bracelet with a braid.
6. Tie off the bracelet when you get to the end and cut off any extra length. You can now add a clasp if you want to make it look a bit more professional or just tie in a bulky knot at the end to use to fasten through the loop at the beginning of your bracelet.
This style is very similar to the hemp bracelet but with a different medium than hemp or twine. I think the braid adds a nice touch as well. The great this about this bracelet is that you can use different things. Think outside the box and try this with old shoelaces or even strips of pretty patterned fabric.