Both of my sons had birthday's recently so we have been very busy making fun crafts to get ready for their big days. Here is a fun fabric birthday banner that requires no sewing, that we made. It's great because once your done with it you can store it away and pull it back out for the next birthday!
1 yard of solid color fabric
15 feet of fabric strips
1/4 yard of felt
1 sheet of card-stock paper
black permanent marker
hot glue/hot glue gun
1. Get several strips of fabric scraps together. Make sure that you have a length of about twelve feet or more when strips are lined up from end to end. Tie knots into scraps every three to four inches apart, making the strips more durable and giving it a fun flair. Once you have the knots all tied in you can go ahead and tie the knotted strips together with a double knot creating one long rope like strip.
2. Your going to need to make 14 flags to spell out "Happy Birthday!" Take the sheet of card stock paper and cut the sides off in an angle to make a paper length triangle template. Trace the template with a pencil on the yard of fabric. Continue to trace the template along your fabric by flipping the template from top to bottom so that you can reduce the waste of any excess fabric.
3. Cut out your flags, and make sure you have all 14 flags accounted for.
4. Next, your going to use the felt for the letters. You can just use a permanent black marker to draw your letters on the felt. Make sure you give at least 1/2 and inch in between letters. Cut out the letters by cutting around the outside of the black marker lines leaving about 1/4 of an inch of felt to outline your letters.
5. This is where you put everything together. Lay out your flags and hot glue the letters to each flag. When all the letter are hot glued on you can go ahead and hot glue the fabric scrap rope along the top front of the flags. Make sure you lay it all out first before gluing it all down to make any adjustments needed.
These birthday banners are easy to hang up just using some thumb tacks or using the ends to tie the banner to something. You can do so much with these no-sew banners and give them your own fun flair by mixing up colors and patterned fabrics. I hope you find this birthday craft tutorial useful and have tons of fun making your own!